Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thoughts of Late

For the first, oh, 23 years of my life, things just went along fine. There were struggles and joys, of course, but I can't say there was anything too out of the ordinary in either direction.

I feel like that's changed in the last two years. If we're talking day to day existence, life is very routine: I get up, I go to work, I do my job, I come home, I eat some food, I go to bed, and repeat. That, I think, is a major difference from college and prior, because during college and prior, every day somehow felt more unique. I would get up, go to a class, get some food, hang out with friends, go on various adventures, and find plenty of blogging material. 

I think that's why I've struggled with writing these days. There aren't enough minor, daily adventures to fill the (web) pages with regular goings-on. Life, it seems, has gotten...bigger. The things that happen are more profound, more important, and somehow less blog-worthy. Or perhaps more blog-worthy. I haven't yet decided. 

Previously, low points were friendship tensions, tough classes, and extreme amounts of homework. High points were random escapades, living with dear friends, and enjoying short term milestones. Now? Low points look more extreme - it seems like I hear of death far too often these days. My brother's best friend. An acquaintance from high school. A beloved community member from home. A college professor. Two grandparents. That type of life-content certainly isn't bloggable. Nor should it be. High points are also extreme: weddings, engagements, new babies (I'm not exaggerating when saying that I know approximately 10+ people who are expecting). Some of that is bloggable, but those events aren't things that are happening on a daily basis.

All that to say, it seems like the bits of life that I got used to writing about are now fewer and farther between. And I don't think that's bad. It simply means that I need to look at my life with a new viewpoint. Daily existence isn't boring. It's just different, and I need to train myself to look for the daily things that are worth capturing in writing. The routine doesn't need to be turned up to a hyperactive degree in order to see small, blog-worthy adventures. In case you're looking for examples, here are a few that happened just this week!

1. It was pretty windy this afternoon, which made for a bad day for the paper shredding company that was visiting our office building. Suddenly, the entire "back yard" of the office was covered in thousands of pieces of highly sensitive documents in need of shredding, and our entire team was glued to the windows watching the poor shredding people pick up the mess!

2. Wedding planning status: checking a ton of things off the list. Hooray for productivity!

3. Official Blog Fiance comes home from his 1,298,237,546,892nd business trip to London tomorrow!

4. I thought I made it through the entire season without catching a cold. But alas - I came down with illness the day after Official Blog Fiance left for London. Yuck.

5. This whole working-at-a-desk-all-day thing means a serious lack of exercise, and that's bad news right before having a wedding dress fitting. Enter 3-day diet. Thanks, Pinterest, for providing me with something that feels like it's working miracles. I think I'll do it again next week...

So there you have it. Five items that should have been blogged earlier but weren't. I apologize for both this post and yesterday's - I definitely don't think they have been the most exciting reads, so if you've made it this far, you deserve a reward! Here's an entirely unrelated picture that requires some recognition. 



My brother is awesome. 

The end.

2 comments:

lbms said...

I agree about the babies! When I go on Facebook now, there are about as many baby pictures as pictures of adults!

Jillian said...

Seriously! SO MANY BABIES. Confession: I may have spent approximately 2 hours reading birth stories on blogs tonight. Is that weird?