Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Flash Mob Glory Take 2!

Awhile ago, I blogged a video of the Copenhagen Philharmonic doing a flash mob in a Danish train station.  I guess the Copenhagen Philharmonic has a thing for trains, because they did it again.  Only this time they did it on the train rather than just in the station.



(Sidenote: I would really not enjoy being the oboist in the video.  Playing with a reed with sharp corners in a jerking train car sounds hazardous.)

I love the idea of doing this.  While I realize that it is a brilliant advertising scheme, the benefits go far beyond a little extra money in the orchestra's pocket(s).

There are so, so few people that get the rare privilege of experiencing orchestral music from the midst of the orchestra.  It's easy to appreciate music from an observer's perspective - you can turn on the radio, you can go to a band concert, heck, you can go to the BSO for only 20 bucks! - but it is a different thing altogether to be fully surrounded by it.  The sounds become richer.  The interworking parts become clearer.  And at least for me, it's incredibly moving.  So this type of flashmob?  Advertisement or not - I support it.

No comments: