Tuesday, December 7, 2010

'Tis the season of stress, I've decided. I'm making a list. I'm not checking it twice, because I don't want to read it any more than I have to. So here goes:

-Finals - those terrible cumulative monstrous tests that take precedence over everything else, even if everything else is, in the long run, more pertinent to your life

-Millions of rehearsals/concerts - they take up hours and hours of time, and you play the same music over and over again

-Papers - they just take forever, and no one actually wants to read them anyway

-Crazy scheduling - when you look at your planner and realize there's no time to do all the homework that's due

-Nasty weather - when you leave for class, realizing that it's a lot colder outside than you anticipated and you have to go all the way across campus

-Materialism - inflatable snowmen? Really?!?

-Sleeplessness - when you consider yourself lucky to go to bed before 2, and you become easily annoyed at the smallest things because your overtired

-Interruptions - when you just want to get your work done, but you realize that there are more demands on your time than just work


This list is too stress-inducing to continue. Furthermore, being the (generally) optimistic person that I am, I believe in alternative viewpoints.

-Productivity - when you look at your massive list of stuff to do, and realize that you can check a lot of it off. Who doesn't like checking things off lists?

-Millions of rehearsals/concerts - it doesn't happen often that you get to play glorious church music with a full orchestra and dear friends. You might as well enjoy it while it lasts, and you get to worship to boot! Score!

-Crazy scheduling - you feel pretty heroic by the end of the day when you realize that you conquered another one.

-Nasty weather - it may be cold, but you can't wear your winter clothes in the summer. Or you can curl up next to your heater with a mug of tea and a cookie while reading your English homework. Plus you get to wear nice coats.

-Decorations - I've never met anyone that didn't appreciate holiday decorations, regardless of relative tackiness or class. It's an outlet for expressing creativity.

-Restoration - "He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul." It's such a holy time - a time for giving, for forgiving, for repairing, for praying, and for new beginnings. Time to focus on selfless blessing rather than selfish gain.

-Interruptions - when a friendly hello turns into a discussion of theology, and you get a brief reminder that everyone you see on the street is a child of God, holy and dearly loved.

What do we have to complain about?

No comments: